Sunday, April 27, 2008

Festival of the Arts, Botanical Gardens, day full of sunshine & inspiration


Yesterday we drove to Oklahoma City for the Festival of the Arts located by the Myriade Botanical Garden, a great location for an arts festival. It had been highly advertised and is the event for art on an annual basis with a long tradition.
The weather was kind, sunny and warm.
As most artists didn't like to have pictures taken including their original art, I don't have a picture of the arts fest set-up itself. This snapshot was taken in the park.
This high-end show was a one-week event and on the weekend it attracted a huge crowd. Oklahoma city's down town area, also called Bricktown, is a great area for walking, recreation and has some European downtown charm mixed with typical Oklahoman Red Brick architecture.
Even though the objects were more of Sid's interest, it was great to see original art in different media, like mixed 2D, oil, acrylic, water-media, clay, metal, photography...
I strongly believe it was juried and hard to be accepted in this elite circle of artists. The prices spoke for themselves. But there were also affordable prints or smaller original pieces for the average wallet.
I almost bought a print of a b/w drawing which could be best described as "steampunk", an awesome composition of Victorian and industrial elements telling the story of faith in yourself and endurance to reach your goal. But my goal to save got the better of me. There were also clay items and smaller originals that I would have bought if we hadn't been on vacation earlier this month.
All in all we had a great day, eating dinner on our way home in Stillwater.
BTW I got my verification for my very FIRST craft fair which I will attend as a seller in September.

No comments: