Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Ideas in my head


A thought is the mother of all inventions.
Not that I invent novelties, but merely design ideas I had never done before, and put my personal spin on them. When it comes to sewing or crocheting there is hardly anything that hasn't been done before. Often I carry ideas in my head for months or years, sometimes they keep me awake at night. Begging that I finally get started.
Lately I had some time to realize some of these thoughts and it wonderfully frees up my head.
Some new projects work out just fine, but some don't turn out the way I had envisioned them and I can scratch them off my mental list.

I wanted to make a patchwork skirt entirely sewn with scraps, no fabric yardage cut up. It took me a while (2 years?) to finally put this thought into action and I finished this plus-sized aline hippie patchwork skirt last week. These skirts have been sewn by people all through the decades, but yet each and everyone is a unique piece of labor.
I am very happy that mine already has found a good home (means it sold this morning).

Along with new skirts I have started on some crochet/ fabric hybrid tops, another idea I had lingering in my head for some time now. And large hobo bags.
Now all I need is a bit of time.

Flashback:
We have returned from Sioux City, Iowa and Sid's mum is doing much better now. She still is in the hospital though.

2 comments:

Beth Ann said...

Look forward to seeing your hobo bags.

Used to work at Conoco.... left Ponca in 1986.... wonder what it looks like now?

Jen said...

I think you did an outstanding job with the skirt. Congrats!