Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Ponca Ribbon Shirt for the PowWow


Here is a picture of a traditional ribbon shirt that I did.
The main event for our family is the gourd dance where most male family members participate. Officially this Pow Wow is called the Otoe-Missouria Annual Encampment.
You don't see many floral ribbon shirts, most of them are solid with different ribbon colors attached to match the rest of the regalia, but here the wearer requested a floral pattern with lavender and green ribbons.
I don't sew men shirts very often, so I am pretty proud of the outcome. Especially since I didn't have a pattern and just drafted it with provided measurements.
I wish I had taken more pictures of the different dancing events, but helping with the meals and chatting with the family had priority. Camera forgotten..., I just sit, watch & enjoy. It was a rather hot day, but with some nice cool breezes, how lucky we were in July.

No comments: